Sunday, September 18, 2011
Post 1: Deserted Island Items
Imagine that you are stuck on a deserted island, much like the characters in William Golding's Lord of the Flies. What three things do you wish you would have with you in this situation? Explain what three things would be most important to you and why they are important. For example, is there a certain item that you would want that would help ensure survival, or is there anything else you can think of that would help make life on a deserted island a little more comfortable/enjoyable?
Be creative in your responses, and of course, be sure to follow the rules of standard written English. Your responses must be at least 200 words. This post will be due Friday, 9/23, by 3PM.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

If I was stuck on a deserted island three things I wish I would have with me are a camper, a life time supply of cup of soups, and a life supply of lighters. These things would help me live on the deserted island. The camper would be necessary because it’d be more comfortable to sleep in then the ground. I’d be above the ground so the bugs and snakes couldn’t touch me while I was sleeping. This would allow me to sleep longer and better so I could do more work the next day. It would also keep the wind and weather from affecting me when I was sleeping. This would make it so I’d have less a chance of getting sick.
ReplyDeleteI would want a life supply of cup of soups on the deserted island with me also. This is because I’m terrible at cooking actual meals. If I had the cup of soups I’d be able to make my meals a lot faster and they’d actual taste well. They would be easy to move around and I could get the nutrients that are needed. I would also be able to stay warm when the weather was cold.
I would also bring a life supply of lighters with me. The lighters would allow me to make fires and heat things up with. If I had a fire I would be able to cook my cup of soups and heat up water. I would also be able to stay warm outside when the weather got chilly. I would also be able to smash the extra lighters on top of the wood to start the fire better. Since I'm no good at that either.
Three things that I would need that would make living on a deserted island a lot easier are a lighter that’s wind and waterproof, a gun, and a big tent. I would take the tent first thing and find a place to set it up in the thickest pines so if it did rain, it wouldn’t push in too hard on the tent.
ReplyDeleteI would take the lighter and start a fire. After I got a lot of wood, I would make a monster fire that could make my chances of being found a lot better. I would use the gun for hunting and protection. I would hunt for hours and hours until I got an animal and I would also be looking for berries and stuff while I’m hunting. If I could choose a gun, it would not be a high powered gun it would just need to be a gun that is reliable in harsh conditions. I would not care what time of year it is because in the snow I can track animals and in the summer it’s warm, in the spring animals have babies, and in the fall I can hear them crunch in the leaves.
I would like to try to survive on an island for a week or so because I think it would be a great challenge to put my self through. The only bad part would be the fact that I have no one to talk to.
Cole
Deidra said...
ReplyDeleteIf I were stranded on a deserted island I would probably want my cat, a cordless soar powered satellite phone, and my friends so I don’t go crazy just by talking to a cat the whole time I’m on the island. I find that without companionship I would probably go a little bonkers and start to hear voices in my head. I think that as humans we are a social people and I think people will agree with what I have said in the above sentence.
I would have my cat on the island with me because he is and would be a comfort for me. He could also take care of himself if he needed to. He is a very skilled hunter and catches mice or even butterflies when he is bored.
My two best friends would go anywhere with me if I asked them, and if we ended up on a deserted island together we would most likely look after each other. I trust them and I feel that if there ever were a time that we got stuck on an island together I could depend on them for anything at all.
I would have a cordless solar powered phone on the island with me so I could call long distances and the government could find me with the use of the GPS chip that would be in the phone. It would be the use of the phone that would bring rescue to me, my cat, and my friend though I hope that we never end up on a deserted island
Though at first I would think it would be cool to be without my family I would go insane with them not near me. So on day I hope that I never have to deal with being stuck on a island.
September 21, 2011 10:17 AM
If I were stuck on a deserted island, there would be way more than just three things that I would want to bring with me. I would hate being on a deserted island because I would miss all my family and friends.
ReplyDeleteThree things that I would bring would be my dresser, because I can’t live without clothes because at night it gets colder and without clothes I would probably not survive very wrong and I would be more likely to get a disease if all my skin was exposed on a deserted island. Another thing I would most likely bring would be my best friend Lakeisha because without her, I don’t think I would be able to get through it and she helps me through everything and makes everything a ton of fun, even if it isn’t a good time. The last thing I would definitely bring would be food and water because without water you can’t live and you always need water weather if it is for bathing or drinking or anything and food of course too, because I don’t like hunting at all and don’t even know how and would not want to have to eat animals that I kill.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe first thing I would want if I was stuck on a deserted island would be a cell phone that was fully charged and a tower for service. Then I could call either 911 or someone I know to come and save me.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I must have is my friends and family. I would probably go crazy if I was on an island alone with no other humans except for animals that probably want to kill me. My family and my friends would keep my spirit up and always look toward the positive side of the situation. They would also play fun things with me, like sports and games, to keep my mind off of the fact that we are deserted on an island.
The last thing that would be a must would have to be food and water. I couldn’t kill any animals because that is mean. So I would need my own food but if the food runs out, then I will have to live with the fact that I will have to kill animals for food, even though it would make me cry.
I would need a million more things for me and my friends and family to survive, like a tent to shelter us at night and from the weather, probably some sort of weapon to keep us safe from animals, and tons and tons of clothes. But hopefully I will never get deserted on an island in my lifetime!!!
If I could have anything if I was stranded on an island I would want my Honda Recon 250 ES 2003 4-wheeler with a lot of gas. Also I would like to have my .243 with bullets, also a lot of matches.
ReplyDeleteI would us my 4 wheeler to get all the supplies that I would need. I could have fun on the island, and I could use it for pulling the food that I killed and to get the wood that was broken. I would like to have my 4 wheeler so I could do different things with it all the time.
I would use my .243 to hunt the animals on the island. Also I could use it so protect my self. I would use the gun to shoot things and use it to get my aim better by target practicing.
The last think that I would need is matches so I could light the fire. I could use a lot of gas to start the fire. I would use my fire to cook the food and to boil the water so I don’t get sick.
I think if I was on a stranded island I would have fun like the first few days but after a while I would get bored. Also I would like to have those things on the island.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIf I was stuck on deserted island I would most definitely want my iPod with internet. Then I could contact someone on with email or something so that I could be saved. While waiting for someone to save me I could listen to music and play some games. My music would also help keep me sane and calm. It would give me something to listen to, because the sounds of a beach can be nice for only so long.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I would want is a lot of food. I don’t know how long I would end up being stuck on the island, but I don’t think I would be able to find any fruit and I most definitely would not resort to killing any animals. The food would taste better than anything I could find anyway.
The last thing I would want if I was on a deserted island is a tent like in the Harry Potter. It might be small but it has a lot of room inside. This way I have a nice bed, a little stove so I can keep warm and cook things, and a lot of room. Of course the tent would be rain proof, just in case.
If I was stuck on an island I would build a rollercoaster out of coconuts. The reason I brought this is because the passing by ships would see it so I would be rescued. It would probably take me week or two to finish.
ReplyDeleteIn that weeks worth of time I would have a have a fridge for food, to keep me healthy in that time. It will be powered by electric eels from the ocean.
The last thing I would have a Wilson volleyball to play volleyball and to have a friend like in “Cast Away.” I will call him “Wilson” I love too play volley ball! It is one of my many hobbies. While I was there I would work on my spikes, serves passing bumping and setting (even though I’m not a setter).
While I’m there I will build a shelter out of sticks and leafs. I would make the fire with twigs, dead moss and my shredded pants. I would start the start fire just like Ralph did and use Piggy’s glasses (my glasses). I would use a rock and whittle a stick to make a perfect point, to kill fish or any other animal in my way.
Then when I get tired I would take a break and go on the rollercoaster. Also I would play volleyball with Wilson.
If I was stranded on an island and could only bring three things, I would bring a life time supply of a knife, cooking pot, and a box of matches. These things would help ensure survival, as well as security. By having these three items I am sure that I would be able to survive as long as I needed to until outside contact has been reached.
ReplyDeleteI would bring a knife with me because by having a knife I can use this to stab any creatures that may be lurking on the island. As well as ensure my safety, because if need be I would use this knife to fix any wound, avoiding the risk of disease.
As well as to having a knife I would bring a cooking pot. With a cooking pot I would be able to boil ocean water to dissolve the salt and bacteria. By dissolving the salt and bacteria I will have clean drinking water to one again ensure my survival. Not only can I use this pot for boiling water, I can also use it to signal help during the day by using the pot as a natural reflector.
Finally I would bring a box of matches to the deserted island with me. By having the matches I will have fire, light, and also something to boil the water with. These matches will ensure my survival and also provide a signal for survival as well.
Even though the chance of getting stranded on an island is very scarce, there is that slim possibility. Hopefully, when and if I get stranded on an island I will be able to keep my head on straight. I think being stranded on an island by myself would be entertaining. I wouldn’t mind the quietness and the beach would never get old.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIf I was stuck on a deserted island one of the things I would want is a unlimited supply of my favorite food. I also would want one million matches so I could start a fire to cook over. I also would want three of my bestfriends so I dont go crazy like in the movie Cast Away with Tom Hanks.
ReplyDeleteThe reason I would want an unlimited amount of food would be, so I dont starve because I dont think I could catch alot of fish or anything else. Matches would come in handy for many reasons such as for warmth durring the night and also for light because it sure does get dark at night. Also for cooking any type of food and keeping strange animals away so they dont eat me when I am asleep.
On this island me and my friends would have lots of fun cause there would be no parents around to yell at the fun but mostly dangerous things we do. Then after awhile we would get bored and home sick , so we would build a huge raft and float out to sea to find our way home. That is my three wishes if i was stuck on a deserted island .
If I were on a deserted island and I could bring three things, I would bring my ipod, lots of books, and lots and lots of food.
ReplyDeleteI would need my ipod because without my music I don’t know what I would do. I might go insane. Music is my get away. When life gets tough music is a great way to escape. I am perfectly content without people or a boat to escape the island as long as I have my ipod.
Another thing that would be a necessity for me is a lot of books. I love to read! I would read all day every day if I got the chance. I read all types of books. My favorite types of books are mystery, action, and sometimes romance. I don’t really comprehend why people complain about reading. It’s like you get to feel what someone else feels and see how they live their lives.
The last thing I would bring is lots and lots of food. All types of food, mostly healthy foods but it’s good to splurge sometimes. When I am older I would like to become a chef. I like experimenting with how certain foods taste with other foods. I like feeling all the textures of foods. Since I would have a lot of free time it would be good to experiment then.
That’s all I would need to bring with me to a deserted island. It wouldn’t be too bad to be on a deserted island by yourself for a little while.
If I was stranded on a deserted island and could only bring three things I would bring my bow, a survival knife, and all of my friends. My friends include Gary Fineout, Marcos Benedict, and Dan Babcock. The reason I would want my bow is to hunt. The survival knife for camp work, butchering, fire making, and weapon making. Finally the reason I would bring my friends is strength in numbers and sanity.
ReplyDeleteNow that I have got my three thing I would set up camp with my friends and like Lord of the Flies we would survive until rescue or death befell us. Most of the time we would hunt for food and improve on our shelter. On the beach we would build a big S.O.S and on the highest point of the island we would have a big signal fire waiting to be lit.
After we got rescued, this is a blog so yes there is a happy ending . We would try to track our parents down and share our story with all who would listen. Being on an island with my friends for a long time it would be hard for us to adapt back to the modern way of life. After living like our ancestors struggling for survival everyday.
Zack Decker
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI hope that in my lifetime I don’t come in contact with too much hardship. However, if I were stuck on a deserted island, there are a few important items I would like to have with me. I would hope that if I were stranded, I would have enough wits and strength to survive.
ReplyDeleteOne item I would like to have with me is a cell phone with a full battery. I would need this to call for help. My first call would be to my parents. Then, I would have them get in contact with the police or a search and rescue team so that they could send me help. Next, I would like to have a cell phone tower so that I would have service on my primitive island. Thirdly, I would like to have a G.P.S. so that whoever is sent after me can know my exact coordinates. This will make it much easier for my rescuers to locate me. Without a G.P.S., they could wander the skies or the ocean for days.
Hopefully, I will only be on the island for a few hours. If I get hungry or thirsty, I will probably search for berries or coconut milk. If dusk comes and it gets cold, I will try my best to start a fire. If I am unable to, I will cover myself with large leaves that I will bind together. My logic, supplies, and determination combined should be enough to keep me alive. I just hope there are no wild animals that could attack me. . .
Raven... I loved your post. I never knew you wanted to be a chef. Also, I never thought about reading the way you just did. That's so true! Feeling someone else's emotions is really amazing and it helps us learn to cope with our own emotions better. We can look at a character's strides or mistakes.
ReplyDeleteDear Diary,
ReplyDeleteHere I am on, all alone with no one to talk to but myself. I know some of my friends escaped the ship as well when we passed the island. I can’t seem to find my friends anywhere. At least I hope they escaped the people have taken us. I don’t know why they took us but they must have had a reason. Luckily when I abandoned ship I grabbed a few supplies. I only grabbed the three things I thought were most important.
The first thing I grabbed was sniper rifle the men on board had. It was that or an Ak-47, the sniper seemed like it would be more effective for hunting than the assault rifle. I figured since we were going jumping off the ship at an island there would be something to hunt. I was pretty familiar with the rifle because it is what my dad hunts with. It was just a slightly different model, the rifle was a Remington 700 30-06. I didn’t bother grabbed a little bit of ammo. I didn’t grab much because it was heavy and the ammo was my good friend Zack’s job to get. I really hope he shows up soon along with Marcos and Dan.
The second thing I grabbed was the fire ax. I knew the ax would come in handy for making shelter and possibly protection. It would also help with making other weapons to save ammo. Also if Dan or Marcos couldn’t get the knives like they were supposed to we could use it to cut and skin animals. The ax would be best for cutting the firewood.
The last thing I grabbed was a tarp and blankets. The tarp was to make a water catch and if we had enough to waterproof the shelter. Of course the blankets were for warmth. I also wanted blankets to keep flies and other insects off of us and if we didn’t have a fire a couple of nights.
If you are wondering about the fire situation I didn’t grab matches because I knew the water would ruin them. So I will you use I technique I learned from a discovery channel show to make fire. I will take bullet from the rifle and take the bullet itself off the cartridge. Then I would dump some black powder in the fire pile I have set up. And leave a little powder in cartridge and bend opening. Finally I will shoot the half empty cartridge and the spark will be big enough to create a flame.
Out of all the supplies I grabbed I think the rifle is the most important. Due to the fact it will make the fire I will cook my animal I killed with it on. And If I have enough ammo it can cure some boredom by going out and shooting at targets. Also another good thing would be that my friends have finally arrived with the supplies they grabbed. We should be able to live here for a few years with the equipment we grabbed.
Gary good post it was a very interesting read. However after reading this I will never go on a cruse with you just incase this happens because stranded on an island is flatout bad luck.
ReplyDeletep.s paragraphs bud
First off I’d like to say that if I ever got stuck on a deserted island I would defiantly die. Hopefully this is something that I will never have to experience. If I could only have three thing with me, I would bring a cell phone (that has service out there), the guy from man vs. wild, and last I would bring people to distract me while I was out there.
ReplyDeleteI would bring a cell phone, to first call for help. Most phones have GPS’s in them, so they would be able to find me without any problems. Then I would make a quick call to my family letting them know that I am okay and that there is help on the way. I would save as much of the battery as I could just in case there was an emergency.
I would also bring the guy from man vs. wild. His job would be to keep me alive until help arrived. I would have him build me shelter and keep me safe. I would say to have him make me food too, but I most likely wouldn’t eat it anyways.
Last, I would bring people to distract from the fact that I am stranded on an island. I would probably say the people that could distract me the best would be my friends. I’m sure my friends and I could find some way to make the situation fun.
I hope my three things would keep me safe and let me get home. It is too bad that if this was the real situation, you couldn’t choose three things to bring with you. I don’t think I would be able to live without these things, even it was only for a few hours.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIf I was on a deserted island I would definitely not want to be alone. The one thing that I would want to have the most is food and water. I wouldn't be good with the whole hunting thing, but I enjoy fishing so that would be a plus. I would hope to have my cell phone there and hopefully get service so that I would have a faster way of getting rescued then just sitting there and waiting for someone to appear. I would call my family to let them know that I was okay then I would call a resuce team letting them know where I was. The other thing that I would bring is some sort of electronic entertainment just to have something to do when I got bored. I would hope to get rescued as soon as possible. I don't know what it's like being stranded on an island and I don't ever want to find out.
ReplyDeleteDear people reading this.
ReplyDeleteIf I was stuck on an island in the middle of nowhere, the three things I would take would be, a bunch of matches to start a fire, the second thing would be a gun with a lot of ammunition to hunt, and the third thing I would bring would be tools to build a shelter.
The first thing I would do is realize that I am on an island in the middle of nowhere and won’t be rescued for a while. The second thing I would do is build a shelter to live in. Then I would build an S.O.S. where it is very noticeable and anyone would see it. After that I would find some food and water while exploring my private island that can only be accessed by boat. Then maybe kill a creature of some sort to cook and eat. At the end of the day I would get some sleep and eventually wake up and realize that I needed to use the bathroom, but there was none in sight so I would have to go the old fashioned way. And when I was done I realized that I have very bad luck and my life sucks.
And after a week I would get rescued and not die a terrible death on an island. And when I would get home I would eat and shower then enjoy the rest of my life.
I’m Dan Koch and I approve this message.
If I was stranded on a deserted island the three things that I would bring would be a magnesium block with flint on the side, a medium sized knife, and a flare gun with some flares. This would help me greatly.
ReplyDeleteI would use the magnesium and flint for fire starting. This would make it so I don’t have to waste my energy on starting a fire. I would use the knife for many things. I could use it to start the fire by using it with the magnesium. I could also use it to whittle a spear to use for hunting. I could also use it for cutting smaller trees down for my shelter. The flare gun I would obviously use for rescue. If I saw a ship or boat pass by then I would shoot the flare in hope of rescue.
The three things that I would bring would hopefully help me to get rescued quickly. I would never want to be stranded on a deserted island without these things. So if I ever do get stranded I would want to have these things.
Tiffany..... I like your post a lot. I would have never though to bring the guy from Man V. Wild. That's an great idea. Then you won't have to do anything- he will do it all for you. And if I was stuck on an island, I would die too!
ReplyDeleteIf I was stuck on a deserted island, there would be a ton of nonsense I would want with me. I would definitely want a friend with me, a cell phone that has fantastic service every where imaginable, and tons of food. These things would help out a lot.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't want to be trapped on a deserted island all alone. I would more than likely go crazy from the lack of another person's presence. Having a friend there would be good to help set up a shelter with, find water, and a bunch of other stuff. Plus it'd just help pass the time.
Being on a deserted island and having a cell phone with coverage everywhere would be extremely convenient. I could call someone to rescue me off the island. It might be kind of hard to actually find me though, seeing there are several gigantic oceans all containing many deserted islands, but most cell phones now have gps tracker thingys in them so I'm golden.
It might take a little while to be rescued off the island so having tons of food would be great. I wouldn't have to go looking for food, and climb trees or whatever to get fruit and there is absolutely NO WAY I am killing something. That's gross. So having food would be great, I could be lazy and wait to be rescued.
If I had to take three things of my choice to a deserted island, I would or will take some food that will last for a year. Another thing that I would take would be my favorite thing which would be a book to read. The last things that I would take are clothes that I could wash and water, so that I can drink.
ReplyDeleteI would take some food with me. That food would be a dozen little watermelon, so that I can eat and suck out the juice so that I can stay hydrated. I would also bring a lot of little pieces of little cookies.
I would take a yearly supply of water so that I don’t die. I would like to be able to stay alive when I am on the island. I would take this so that I can stay hydrated and I don’t end up dying.
I would take a yearly supply of clothes with me and a picture of my whole family so that I can remember them. I will wash my clothes in the closest river to me at this time.
I would not like to be stuck on an island because I will miss everyone in my family and all of the great teachers and my wonderful friends. If I was ever to get stuck, the three things that I take are clothes, food and water so that I can survive.
danny why would u want a four wheeler if your in a island theirs no place to ride.And in stead of the four wheeler u should of got a tent or something to sleep in or some thing to keep warm with.
ReplyDeleteDan,
ReplyDeleteGood job on bringing tools so that you can build a shelter so that you can stay warm.Good job on bringing matches so that you can make a fire so that you can eat.
Dan, I think the three things that you are going to bring are good. although I would bring lighters instead of matches, the burn out more then lighters.
ReplyDeleteDan, i thought that your posts was very good and very inresting. Also I would not mind if I could bring the same things that you brought. Also it ws a very good idea to bring matches and a gun.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete***NOTE TO ALL - THERE ARE MULTIPLE STUDENTS WITH THE SAME NAME (DAN, RACHEL, ETC.) YOU MUST ALL SIGN EACH BLOG YOU RESPOND TO OR RISK NOT RECEIVING CREDIT FOR IT. I WILL NOT TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHO IS POSTING.
ReplyDeleteMS. MOTT
marcus,I thought everybody used their three wishes to the best.I think that if our class was to be stuck on a island most of the people would have no problem surviving.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKristy, I like all the stuff that you would bring. A lot of the stuff is the same. the ipod is the beat thing to bring. Good thinking! Now that I think about it, we should have thought to bring a lighter.
ReplyDelete~Raven
Jen, I really liked what you wrote about and what you would bring and I liked the idea of the cups of soup, so that way you don't have to worry about cooking or anything like that and because soup is very healthy also so that could help from getting sick. Also bringing a camper was a good idea too.
ReplyDeleteKaitlyn Wingerter
Zack...... That sounds like a good plan, however, why didn't you include me, I thought we were friends. But hey if you want to leave me with the modern way of life, then that is fine by me. And a happy ending, that was so predictable. But I liked your idea of how to survive.
ReplyDeleteJason, I liked what you wrote about and the things you would bring such as magnesium block so you dont freeze to death,and also a flare gun you would deffinetly survive.
ReplyDeleteErica.. I like what you said. I agree with you I probably wouldnt live with out a cell phone. It probably would have been smart to do that so I could call for help!
ReplyDelete* Katrina
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJen D, I liked your post. However, there were somethings you probably should have changed. For example, I personally would have brought matches, rather than lighters. I wouldnt have brought lighters bacause eventually if you are not found your lighters will loose their fuel. However, having "Cup of Soups" would probably be best. I only say this because I agree with you on your cooking skills. Also because they would keep you warm. Good Post!
ReplyDelete*Kailee O'Donnell
Dan, I liked the idea that you said you'd bring matches and tools. WIth those objects you would be able to start a fire a lot faster and the tools could be used for building shelters. The S.O.S that would be noticeable everywhere is also a good idea so if there would be anyone passing by, they could see it and come save you.
ReplyDeleteNatalia Bielecki
Kristy C., I also agree to what you would bring. With what you would bring I would be perfectly comfortable and wouldn't mind staying there for a couple days. I also like of the Harry Potter tent idea, small on the outside, but like a mansion on the inside, that way I can have my bed, dresser, TV, and xbox 360. Jeremy B.
ReplyDeleteMatt, i think the supplies you are bringing will definitely come in hand.I think with that much stuff you would never have to leave, but i know you're a mamma's boy so you would miss Marry.
ReplyDeleteKristy,
ReplyDeleteI would bring the same things! I would have to have my phone, and the thing about it keeping you sane is the same for me! The tent from Harry Potter would be on my list, too! Great job!
Erica, I defiantly agree that I would go crazy if I didn't have a friend with me. I think with the three things you picked you could survive, well atleast until help came.
ReplyDeleteTiffany, having all those things would definintely be great. Especially having the dude from Man vs. Wild, I could just sit there and do almost nothing until I was rescued.
ReplyDeleteJason, I liked your post a lot. The magnesium is a good idea, I wouldn't have thought of something like that. I think you would get rescued eventually because you have shelter, food and that flare gun.
ReplyDelete-Marcos Benedict
Marcos, I liked your response alot. I think that would be exactly what would have happenend if is was girls on the island. Overall you did an excellent job on describing the topic.
ReplyDelete