Hi Everyone!
Have you ever put yourself in a situation where you wanted
desperately to do something that you knew would be really hard, but still, it
would be good for you to do? Have you
taken a risk, knowing you might fall flat on your face, but done it anyhow because
you knew that in some way, even if you did, you would still be a better person
for having done it? We’ve never talked
about having a “Bucket List” in our blogs, and that might be a good one for the
end of the year, but I suspect we all have things we’ve talked about, dreamed
about, or been encouraged to do that we haven’t done for fear of failing. What I’d like to read about this week is
something that you were worried about doing, but you did it anyway. I’ll share a short story from this past
weekend to get you started.
It goes back to last summer, really. My friend and I were talking about doing the
Warrior Dash; a 5K run that included ten or so fairly tough obstacles that
would be a challenge to me physically.
You might not have noticed, but I’m not at the peak of my athletic
prowess, so I pondered the idea for awhile.
I recognized that there’s no way I could run a flat out 5K, particularly
with the first mile or so of it going straight up a mountain. Long story short, our team of five not only ran
the race, but we all finished it without death or permanent disability. I was amazingly proud of myself and the fact
that I’d finished without being subjected to utter humiliation and
embarrassment. My goal was to finish and
to not be last. I did it, and I wasn’t last… hooray me!
Fast forward to two weeks ago. One of my friends here at school sent me a
text on a Sunday afternoon asking if I’d like to do the “Dirty Girl 5K Mud Run”. I knew a little about it, looked it up
online, and agreed that I’d go for it.
It was similar to the Warrior Dash, but without Windham Mountain ,
and without men. Part of the
registration fee goes to the American Cancer Society, so I figured it would be
okay. I’d spend a couple of months
training, getting in better shape... these things are always done in the
summer, right? I had committed to doing
it, so that was it. Then I found out
that the race was this past weekend, that’s right, I had less than two weeks to
get 5K ready. After repeatedly
reassuring the others who had also agreed, that we could do it, that we’d make
it together as a team, and recruiting one friend, the sister of my pal from the
Warrior Dash, so I wouldn’t be the oldest participant on our team, we went for
it.
Our team had a 4:00 start time, we climbed through hay
bales, over walls with just 2x4s to hold on to as we scrambled up 10’ or so,
through many, MANY muddy streams, through culverts in the mud, over a wall 20’
high climbing up and down on a cargo net, through both stationary and swinging
tire obstacles, up and down muddy hillsides using ropes to guide us, and at the
end, through a mud filled pit, that turned out to be just 2” deep and made out
of concrete. We all arrived back at the
end of the course at 4:36, filthy, laughing, feeling so proud of our
accomplishments and the feeling of camaraderie we gained helping each other
along the way.
It would have been easy for me to say that there was no way
I could do it; about halfway through the race, I wished I’d said that, but by
the end, I knew I could hold my head up proudly knowing that it was tough, but
I’m tougher... and the Warrior Dash is coming up quickly! Don’t be afraid to try something because of a
fear of failure or inadequacy; you only have yourself to answer to and it’s
tough to be disappointed in yourself when you know that you tried your hardest.
My story is 545 words.
I’d like at least 350 words from each of you for this one. You all have a story to tell and we’d like to
read it. Good luck and have fun with
this!
Ms. Mott
I have a ton of things on my bucket list that I have always been to scared to do. One reason as of why I am to scared to do these things is because I have a fear failing and also death. I am so scared to do these things because there are so many different things in life that could lead to death. There are situations you put yourself in everyday that could lead to death without even realizing it. I do not want to die at a young age which is why I am probably so scared to do a few things on my bucket list.
ReplyDeleteOne thing on my bucket list that I am afraid of doing is sky diving, I think it would be amazing just to glide through the air and be able to see everything. I’m not really scared of heights but I do get afraid before doing something like that. I am afraid of getting hurt or something failing and just falling. I know it is not likely and I think I need to over come my fear and just do it. People sky dive every day and they are fine. I am sure that there are many dangers of sky diving but all you can do is live life to your fullest and go for it.
When I was 10 years old I traveled to Mexico with my family. While we were in Mexico, we did this snorkeling tour and it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. We traveled to several different bodies of water to snorkel in and one of them included a slow flowing river that had this bridge above it. We had the opportunity to jump off of the bridge into the water. Although I was scared at first I loved the feeling you got when you jumped so of course I wanted to do it. When I jumped it was amazing and it felt like you had all the power in the world. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done and I am so glad that I didn’t chicken out and stuck through and did it. After I did it of course I wanted to do it again.
When I am older I hope that I become brave enough to sky dive and everything goes well. If everything goes well I will probably want to continue sky diving in different places and environments just to experience it. I like this kind of stuff and that is one of the things on my bucket list that I would really enjoy to do.
-Kaitlyn Wingerter
Kaitlyn you’re not the most adventurous person I know but I think you can go skydiving and have the time of your life. I hope you get over your fears because life’s to short to live with regrets.
Delete-Natalia Bielecki
Well to be truthful, the most risk full thing I did was entering a talent show. My sister and I were talking about it and she finally convinced me to do it. I still didn’t think I was good enough and I would fail.
ReplyDeleteI practiced for a couple of days so I would have less of a chance to be an epic fail. I wasn’t sure if I could do it. But I decided to go for it anyways, what’s the worse that could have happened? I was shaking so bad I thought everyone would see me. But they didn’t, I suppose I didn’t do as bad as I though I did or would.
Apparently I was really good. When I got home my family and I watched the video, I thought I sucked really badly. When I got to school a couple of people said I was good. I still don’t think I’m that good. But I want to practice so hopefully one day before I die I could go on America idol, or get noticed.
One thing on my “bucket list” for me to accomplish before I graduate would be to finish the book that I started after a crazy wild dream that I had the night before. This whole dream couldn’t possibly be a reality was the first thing that came to my mind, but when I woke up I kept thinking what’s next and why that exactly. Then I got to thinking that some off the greatest books of all time came from dreams. One of the most famous books and movie monsters of all time happens to be Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein.
ReplyDeleteI also had some worries about the book that I’ve been writing like, would people like it, who would let a teenager publish their book, and how old you would have to be in order to be an author. Then I did some research and found out that the youngest person to ever write a book was a thirteen year old girl. So I think I’m taking a huge leap of a giant cliff with this idea, but I’m going to try my absolute hardest to make my dream a reality.
This book thing stated with a dream as do many other dreams. Anything is possible in my eyes; I believe that if you want to do anything bad enough you can make it happen. Sometimes I wonder about my own sanity when I have dreams like the on that started this process. I mean while I was dreaming there was an instant where I was scared and tempted to wake myself up, but then I wanted it to not stop, to not fade, but continue with the characters and the plot line, and that wasn’t the first time I have had an idea like that, but it is that first time where I cannot stop thinking that the characters deserve to live outside my mind.
I know that with such ideas that I need to focus on the reasoning behind them. The main character, I believe is some sort of alter ego for me and the things I wish I could do. The ways that I may see myself as an introvert around people I don’t normally talk to. I feel as though she (the main character) would be the exact opposite, she would be out going and not care what other people think about her, or her life.
Here’s my leap of into a dark abyss and hopefully it goes well.
-Diedra
Diedra,
DeleteThat is quite a goal you have! I hope you will be able to finish the book. You explained your post well. Good luck on the book! :)
~Rachel Grausgruber
I have done many scary things in my life that I could have must chickened out on. But I did accomplish some of theses scary things. One of my scary/risky situations was when I moved from Windsor, NY to Deposit, NY. I couldn’t fathom moving to Deposit because my family was there and all my friends were there. I have lived there ever since I was born so it was basically all that I had and I enjoyed my life there. We wanted to move to Deposit because Bell, Weeks, and Palmer schools were going to get realigned and put into one big school. (The schools didn’t get put into one in the end though.) Kindergarten through fifth grade was going to be put into three different schools. My mom didn’t want me and my two sisters to be put into different schools where she could come get us when it was needed. I really didn’t want that to happen either because I had friends and didn’t want to be with people I didn’t know.
ReplyDeleteIn order to prepare for the move, I talked to some people I knew from Deposit. I visited the town and went to places in Deposit to see who lived there and what my family and I were getting ourselves in to. My family and I also visited the school before school started to meet the principal and meet the teachers. At the school, I met who my teacher was going to be. A day or two after I moved to Deposit, I met Shania Schaub, Shelby Schaub, and Julie Fineout. They were the first people from the school that I met. We walked around town for a while and talked. They were really nice. I was feeling so bad about moving to Deposit after all. In the end, I would regret the decision I have learned to like it and have made many new friends.
I will probably encounter many, many other situations that will be scary or frightening in my future. Some of these could be going to college and getting married. But I know that if I want to accomplish them, I will put my heart and soul into it to do it.
~Rachel Grausgruber
Yesterday, I had an extremely difficult decision to make. My dad had gone shopping, and brought back lots of food. I love food. I couldn't decide what to eat.
ReplyDeleteIt was so challenging deciding what it I wanted to eat. I mean, there was just so much food. Food everywhere. Eat all the food (insert meme here). There was Oreos, and ice cream, and Nutella. So much Nutella. I didn't want to eat all of that, because it just screams unhealthy. Though, that would have never stopped me before. So Oreos are delicious, but I wasn't really in the mood for them. It was just far too cold out for ice cream. So, finally the hard decision had an answer. I would eat the Nutella.
It was just such a difficult thing to do. Decide what it was I wanted to eat. An abundance of food(Starving children in Africa are cursing my existence right now). I of course finally decided to eat the Nutella, because well. Nutella is perfection in a jar.
The end.
Erica, I am sorry you had such a hard time deciding what to eat. It is a good thin you figured out what to eat!
DeleteYou are totally right about Nutella too. Perfection in a jar!
~Kristy
When I woke up this morning I wanted to go fishing, but I was afraid that I would fall in. I wanted to go fishing so bad that I kept on asking my dad if I can go fishing and he said that I can go in a little bit. So he took me to the place that we usually go to when we go. So we took my kayak so that way I could get to where all of the fish were. I was afraid that I would tip the kayak over and fall in. The water was calm and I wasn’t afraid of falling in because I have fished from a kayak before. I went to the Adirondack Mountains and went to Old Forge and caught a three and a half pound bass. I got out of the kayak and kept on fishing on the shore. I think it was better fishing from the kayak because then you can get to where the fish are rather than fishing from shore. I was really calm in the kayak because I got over the fear that I would fall in. after I got over the fact that I knew that I wouldn’t fall in then I caught a two and a half pound bass. All of the fish that I caught I let go back in the water.
ReplyDeleteI went pretty much to the other side of the pond and caught ten to twelve fish. The fish that I caught were bass. They were like from 8- 18 inches. I caught one bluegill or sunfish. It’s kind of hard to fish in a kayak the fish can pull you around because you don’t have any stability. After we got done with fishing then I went home and split and stacked some firewood. I never got done until 8 or so. The reason that I stacked firewood is because at my house we burn wood so we can keep the house warm.
I had some many reasons that I might fall in to the water. Next time I go im not going to be scared of falling in.
Kenny Cornwell
Good job overcoming your fear kenny!!
DeleteI have done many things in my life which I was worried about but did them anyways. When I moved to Deposit I had never really played basketball at all. However when basketball season came I heard that they needed players. I wanted to join the team but I also didn’t want to join and not play at all or do terrible and be laughed at. It was a touch decision to make but I joined the team in the end. I had a couple of friends on the team which encouraged me. I had never really played basketball but I soon liked it. When our first game came around I was very nervous, however I didn’t play a lot. I decided that I wanted to play more and started working harder. I also liked the coach and the whole environment. During the practices I worked really hard and on my own time I practiced. Eventually I really got a lot better and became a starter. When the basketball season ended I was very happy that I joined. It was a great experience overall. Later on in the year I really got into basketball, it is a lot of fun and something that I can always keep improving at. The next school year I played basketball again and I convinced my friend to play as well. This time it was also a lot of fun and now that I knew what I was doing I enjoyed myself a lot more. Overall I am really glad that I joined the basketball team and looking back I can’t tell what I was really worried about. Now basketball is one of my hobbies and I love it.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't even tell that you had never played basketball before you came to Deposit! You must have improved a lot Marcos. I'm glad that you took a risk and had fun. It's great when you know that you've made the right decision.
Delete- Kyley Vandermark
Marcos
DeleteI really enjoyed your story, I felt like I would have done the same thing. PS. 4 Marcos-(PATTY!!!!). P.S.S. 4 others-(inside joke Gary, Marcos, and me use)
Bevis
Marcos, I thank that your story was very good, also you are a very good basketball and you really should stick to playing it.
Delete-------Dan Babcock
Marcos
DeleteWhen you moved here I didnt know that you were into basketball. You must have enjoyed playing basketball very much.
Kenny Cornwell
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI haven't really come across a challenge in my life that was really hard for me to overcome. I can't think of a good example of when I have done something difficult that I knew would better me in the end. The only example I can think of right now occurred just a few days ago when I was going to go for a run.
ReplyDeleteIt was a Tuesday and the weather wasn't great. It had been sprinkling outside and it was about 45 or 50 degrees. I was kind of tired because I didn't sleep well the night before. I really needed to go for a run because I had just started a routine and I knew that if I skipped a day, I would probably skip more and then my next run would be even harder. Also, my dad was in the process of making fresh chocolate chip cookies. I really would rather have stayed inside my warm house, gotten into some warm pajamas, and eaten some warm cookies, but I knew I had to go on my run.
Reluctantly, I got ready and ran. After I got started, I realized it wasn't that cold. I got used to the temperature and had a nice run. I noticed that I did have enough energy to take my run once I started. I got home and felt refreshed. I know that that run helped to strengthen my routine and it would really pay off in the fall. Once I start volleyball tryouts, I will be stronger and less winded because I prepared. I know that I am going to have to be t the top of my game for the volleyball season this year because there is no longer a junior varsity team. There are a ton of girls trying out for the team and only twelve are going to make it. There will be a lot of cuts and I don't want to be one of them. Hopefully, if I exercise and practice over the summer, I will be able to make the team. Maybe I will even look back on this Tuesday and be glad that I stuck to my routine.
-Kyley Vandermark
Good luck Kyley I know if you work hard enough i any situation you will succeed.
Delete-Diedra
I hope you succeed Kyley! You always work hrs towards your goals.
DeleteHard* gosh darn autocorrect.
DeleteIt’s not everyday that I’m in a good mood and it’s very easy to put me in a bad one. I do the best I can to always be happy and overcome anything that’s thrown at me. Life is challenging and things don’t always go as planned. I have many fears and sometimes I have a hard time overcoming them but I do the best I can.
ReplyDeleteOne long weekend we went to Dominican Republic for my aunts weeding and we decided to leave the resort and go on a tour and then go to the zoo/aquarium. We got the chance to swim with dolphins and when my parents told me I was a little bit afraid because of previous stories that I have heard but I couldn’t really back down at that point. I slowly got into the water but I didn’t want to be too afraid, I wanted to enjoy this moment. Once the dolphins swam up to me and took me for a ride around the pool it was the greatest moment of my life and if I ever choose to go swimming with dolphins I don’t think the feeling will ever be the same as the first time. I am glad I overcame that fear and dolphins don’t scare me anymore.
I really have always wanted to go skydiving and one day I hope to do it. I have the biggest fear of skydiving but it’s something I am going to overcome even though the thought of it just freaks me out. I know I can do it. Along with skydiving I want to try snorkeling. Even though snorkeling may not seem like a big deal I have a huge fear of stingray, and there’s plenty of those… but this summer I’m going to Key West and I plan on snorkeling and throwing that one off of my bucket list.
Living life with regrets is the worst thing you can do because at one point it’s exactly what you wanted to do and you shouldn’t regret it. You should live life to the fullest and overcome your fears you may come to find out that you love your fears.
-Natalia Bielecki
gee wiz natalia that was a great story i mean golly gee i injoyed that vary much
DeleteThere are many things that I have done that I was afraid that I would fail. Most of them I have done. I take on all and any challenges. There are very few challenges that I have turned down. The only ones that I have turned down are ones that would be a bad thing to do, like illegal.
ReplyDeleteOne of the biggest challenges that I had to overcome is passing math. I am not the best in math. All of my other classes are easy for me and I don’t have to study for them. For math I had to study and come in for extra help. I did everything that I could. I have passed all three quarters and only have one more to go. After this year I will finally be done with math. However, even though I hate it I will always use math in my whole life.
I have had many other challenges to overcome. One big challenge was at the motocross track in Montrose. The biggest jump there at the time was an eighty foot tabletop. I told my self at the beginning of the year that I will land it. So the last time I went there last year I tried it. I surprised myself and landed it. I thought I was awesome so I tried the next smaller one which was a seventy foot double. Unlike the tabletop, I can’t come up short or I will case it and crash horribly. This is exactly what I did. I crashed horribly. Then I had a nice trip to the hospital. I knew that you needed a 450 to hit it, but I didn’t believe it so I tried it on my 250. Now I know you need a 450. This year they just put in a big metal stunt ramp. It is obviously the hardest one there. Not many people hit it. I told myself that by the end of the year I hit it. Hopefully I don’t get hurt too bad.
I have had many challenges in my life. I try to accomplish all of them. There are always more challenges that I am willing to overcome in the world. Hopefully the world keeps challenging me.
-Jason Lobdell
Jason those are some good thing to be scared of i am horible in math but i think if you put your mind to something you can do anything. Jumps are hard but hey it was worth a try now you know never to do it again with that bike.
DeleteIt was the twenty first of September, (do you remember?) 1999. I had been training for the heavy weight title for over ten years. I had spent all my time training; hours on hours in the gym, running tens of miles every day, and only eating raw eggs. I had left my family and friends to go to Siberia and train. I ran up the snowy mountains every morning, and occasionally crossed paths with a mountain lion, and had to fight to the death (I only won every so often). I carried whole trees when I ran, in negative twenty degree weather. I was striving to attain GLORY! I would stop at nothing to defeat… Helga Glockenspiel!!! She was the defending heavy-weight champion of the world. 86-0 was her record: fifteen knockouts, twenty five had been hospitalized, and had killed four men in the ring. The world had thought the German born; now Russian citizen had been unstoppable. I was determined to prove the world wrong. I knew the dangers involved in the challenge ahead of me, but nothing could stop me… except for animals dressed as people, it just freaks me out.
ReplyDeleteThe fight was now a week away. I was eating my usual breakfast of raw eggs and animal blood, when a knock came to the door. I opened the door and no one was there, but there was a note. All it said was, “YOU WILL DIE IN THIS FIGHT!!!!” So proclaimed to the cold mountain air, “IS THAT A CHALLENGE!?!” The echo shook the mounttin and caused an avalanche. I then grabbed my noble steed and began my decent down the mountain on top of the avalanche. I arrived at the arena a week later (he is a slow horse).
I was in the locker room, I heard the roar of the crowd, smelled the excitement in the air, tasted the victory that was almost in my grasp. It was time. I walked out into the arena and the crowd went wild. I could barely see with all the flashing lights of the cameras that wanted to capture a glimpse of my tenacity and awesomeness. I stepped into the ring; there was no coach or supporters of any kind. Like a twister, I was born to walk alone. Then, Helga Glockenspiel stepped in the arena. The crowd fell silent. No one really liked her because she had killed four men, and that’s frowned upon in most societies. We met in the middle of the ring and began to stare into each others eyes. At that moment, our brain waves must have gotten hooked on each other. This fight will be to the death. We both knew it to be true. We backed up to our corners, and then the match began. I pulled out my 9 and shot her, then got the hell out of there.
THE END
Stephen,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post. I can tell that all of it is true because your so huge. The ending was great.
~Marcos
Jonathan Hafele and I have been really wanting to build a stock car and race it at local tracks . We want to build a street stock Camaro with a 396 alcohol engine. We also want to make enough money to get a few cars. It will be a very hard goal to achieve as of right now but later in life I think we can obtain this goal. I think this is a very good goal to achieve. I really hope neither of us die because that car is gonna cruise!
ReplyDeleteDawson Dailey and I have really been wanting to start are own racing team. Stock car, drag racing and demo derby once we are out of school. We have serious plan of starting out by building a street stock camaro and drop a 700 horse power 496. Then from there just work up.
ReplyDeleteIt’s going to be extremely hard because of money but no matter what we are going to figure it out. If we are good enough we could get sponsors and the cars will pay for them self. Other then that every thing hard I have wanted to try I just did. I really hope this works out for and not ends in a disaster.
Jon,
DeleteThat sounds like a really good idea and a fun one, the only problem is the amount of money it would cost to do that. And I would sponsor for you if you did do that just because I would respect you if you did do that. However you would have to let me take if for a ride before I would sponsor you.
~Dan Koch
ERICA YOU FAILURE! It's "there WERE Oreos, ice cream and Nutella", not "there was"! P.S. I'm out of Nutella so I'm stealing ALL OF THE NUTELLA (insert fat meme here).Good job though.
ReplyDeleteKayleigh L.
Stephen, I liked you post it was very create and I especially like the ending good work!
ReplyDelete~Matt Mills
Stephen, I liked your post alot. It was very interesting. I think that you did a very good job and that you will win the fight.
ReplyDelete-Jason Lobdell
Marcos,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you had gotten the chance to do something that you had eventually really loved.
~ Haley L.
good post Marcos I can see your happy we pushed you to join the team, and then we double teamed Gary keep up the good work Sancho.
ReplyDelete-Zack Decker
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKyley, I really liked your post. I'm glade you had good you had a nice run.
ReplyDelete*Katrina Lester*
Stephen,
ReplyDeleteI like your blog I enjoyed reading it keep up the good work.
~Rachel Marie Reynolds~
1.) The first pet I have ever received was a dog. It was a family dog and her name was Gateway. The name comes from the computer logo from Gateway computers. She was black and white just like the computer logo. I think I was about 6 years old when we had this dog.
ReplyDelete2.) My dream car is pretty pricy. Nothing I can afford anytime soon. It is a 71 Chevelle SS 454 big block. This car is very fast and it is a muscle car. The reason why I love this car so much is because my dad used to own one of these cars, but his was not as nice as mine is going to be. Second of all I love the way its built and I love how fast it is.
3.) Space travel is very unique because we do not know what is beyond our galaxy within others. Scientists started using monkeys to travel up in to space to test biological space travel. How does this space travel effect humans? That is the question they are trying to answer, and with this test, hopefully the question will be answered.
4.) Give me a second I,
I need to get my story straight
My friend's are in the bathroom getting higher than the
empire state
My lover she's waiting for me just across the bar
My seat's been taken by some sunglasses asking about a
scar, and
I know I gave it to you months ago
I know you're trying to forget
But between the drinks and subtle things
The holes in my apologies
You know I'm trying hard to take it back
So if by the time the bar closes
And you feel like falling down
I'll carry you home
Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun
Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun
Now I know it I'm not
All that you got
I guess that I, I just thought
Maybe we could find new ways to fall apart
But our friends are back
[| From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/f/fun-lyrics/we-are-young-(Ft.-janelle-monae)-lyrics.html |]
So let's raise a cup
'Cause I found someone to carry me home
Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun
Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun
Carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
Just carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
Carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
Just carry me home tonight (Nananananana)
The world is on my side
I have no reason to run
So will someone come and carry me ho,me
Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun
Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun
So if by the time the bar closes
And you feel like falling down
I'll carry you home tonight
This is my favorite song because of the lyrics. It says we should let out our inner child and live once again like we were young. We are born to die and that is how life goes, so who says we can’t make the best of it. In my opinion and my view of things I will live with pride, happiness, joy, accomplishments, and also integrity. Being famous isn’t the answer in my heart, if I have done the things I need to do to succeed my own life, which is being famous in my heart. Who cares if I am all alone at least I did what I wanted to do to achieve greatness. This song makes me feel just like that.
5.) Food is just amazing; I love mostly all food as you can tell. Not much food to me is gross. I will eat things to satisfy my hunger needs.